- When is the application deadline?
- What are the admission requirements?
- Is there an application fee?
- Can I apply without an undergraduate degree?
- Does work experience have to be industry related?
- Is a Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) required?
- Is TOEFL required?
- How long is a TOEFL score valid?
- Is the University of Guelph an established and accredited university in Canada?
- How and when will I be notified of the status of my application?
- How do I obtain a copy of my Transcript?
- Why do I need to provide referees?
- What should I include in my Statement of Interest?
When is the application deadline?
The deadline date to apply each year is March 31st. Applications are processed on a continuous basis and program enrollment is limited. As a result, candidates are advised to apply early. In exceptional and limited cases, late application may be considered.
What are the admission requirements?
• A four year Honours degree, or equivalent, from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum B- average over the last two years of full-time equivalent study AND a minimum 3 years of relevant work experience.
• The GMAT is mandatory for applicants from a honours program who do not offer the relevant work experience.
• General degree, diploma and/or an acceptable professional designation AND at least 5 years of relevant work experience showing progressive increases in responsibility.
Can I apply without an undergraduate degree?
Applicants without an undergraduate degree are welcome to apply, but require significant industry experience and a demonstrated commitment to continuing education in order to be accepted.
Does work experience have to be industry related?
Participants in the program engage in class and group discussions about management problems within their industry. For these discussions to be effective and contribute to learning, each participant requires a significant level of knowledge of the issues and conditions within an industry.
Is TOEFL required?
TOEFL is required for any student whose first language is not English.
The minimum scores are:
• Paper: 550
• Computer: 213
• Internet: 89 (no category less than 21)
Notwithstanding, the Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an interview of an applicant.
How long is a TOEFL score valid?
A TOEFL score is valid for two years. When submitting your score, please ensure that the valid date will cover the application and admission period. The score must be valid at the time the offer of admission is signed.
Is the University of Guelph an established and accredited university in Canada?
The University of Guelph is a fully accredited member of the Association of Universities and Colleges in Canada (AUCC). Although universities are provincially regulated and funded, the AUCC accredits universities as legitimate. It determines who can and cannot be admitted to membership following site inspections and evaluations.
The MBA program offered at the University of Guelph is fully accredited through the Ontario Council of Graduate Studies.
How do I obtain a copy of my Transcript?
The system also allows you to order transcripts from accredited post-secondary institutions. Official transcripts ordered through this system will be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Studies at the University of Guelph, and once received will be uploaded into the system to support your application to the program.
If you have copies of your official transcripts (received directly from your academic institution in a sealed envelope), you may mail them directly to:
Office of Graduate Studies,
University of Guelph,
Canada N1G 2W1
Once received, your official transcripts will be uploaded into the system to support your application to the program.
Why do I need to provide referees?
Once you have completed the online form, your referees will be contacted electronically and asked to complete the requisite reference form online. Your referees will be asked to rate you on a number of areas i.e. originality, potential research ability, industriousness/perseverance, judgment etc. They will also have an opportunity to comment on how long they have known you and in what capacity; and offer their opinion regarding your suitability for the program.
What should I include in my Statement of Interest?
There is no minimum nor maximum length required for your statement of interest. We do encourage applicants to outline their interest in their field of study and their objectives for undertaking the graduate program of study.
Program Financing Questions
Are there any scholarships or grants? What about student loans?
Please visit the "How to finance your MBA" for more information.
Program Delivery Questions
- What is online learning?
- When does the program start?
- How long will it take to complete the program?
- Where are the on campus components held for the online format?
- How are online courses delivered?
- How much time will I need to devote to studying on a weekly basis?
- Do I need to be online at the same time as everyone else in my course?
Program Delivery Answers
What is online learning?
Online education courses allow university students in a degree program the flexibility to study at home, at work, or while traveling the world, according to your own schedule - there are no classes to attend. Online education courses are taken online via the World Wide Web. This innovative format creates a highly interactive, engaging and supportive learning environment.
How long will it take to complete the program?
The program is normally completed within 24 months although those who qualify for credit for prior academic work may require less time to complete. If you are constrained by your work or family schedule, you can apply to the Office of Graduate Studies for a leave of absence from a semester of studies.
How are online courses delivered?
All courses are designed, developed and delivered using the Desire to Learn platform. Course materials, readings, assignments, discussions and teamwork are online. Courses may also be supplemented with textbooks.
Courses are delivered sequentially and generally are eight weeks in duration. There are small breaks between each course and two scheduled breaks in December and during the summer.
Do I need to be online at the same time as everyone else in my course?
You can choose the time of day or night to log onto your course's website. Your course timeline, materials, and instructions are waiting online for you to read whenever you need to. Our asynchronous computer conference system means that you can read messages from course mates and post messages for everyone else to read without having to be online at the same time as anyone else. All the messages are there waiting for you when you click on a conference. You will want to log on at least once each day to keep up.